President William Ruto has pledged a Sh10 million investment in Nairobi United FC, marking the beginning of a new partnership that will see him become a co-owner of the club alongside Nairobi Governor Johnson Sakaja. The announcement was made on Thursday during a special meeting with the team at State House, Nairobi.
The Football Kenya Federation (FKF) Cup champions, who are preparing for their debut appearance in the CAF Confederation Cup, received a major morale boost ahead of their continental journey.
Previously fully owned by the Johnson Sakaja Foundation, Nairobi United will now benefit from increased support and visibility under the new arrangement.
“I will invest Sh10 million - your five groups will each receive Sh2 million,” President Ruto said during the meeting, referring to the club’s various support structures.
Nairobi United’s rapid rise has drawn national attention, particularly after their stunning FKF Cup triumph, which earned them a ticket to represent Kenya in continental football for the first time in the club’s history.
With the CAF Confederation Cup campaign approaching, the State House visit served both as a celebration and a preparation milestone for the team, which was recently promoted from the FKF National Super League to the Premier League.
The dual ownership is expected to unlock new opportunities for Nairobi United in areas such as funding, infrastructure, and technical support, as they prepare to face seasoned clubs from across the continent.
Elswhere, Harambee Stars have officially kicked off preparations for the 2024 African Nations Championship (CHAN), with Football Kenya Federation (FKF) President Hussein Mohammed defending the integrity of the squad selection and government leaders calling for national support.
Speaking during the flag-off at Stadion Hotel in Kasarani, Hussein addressed criticism over alleged interference in naming the squad, clarifying that the final decisions rest solely with the technical bench.
“The selection is entirely up to the technical team,” said Hussein. “Neither myself nor the FKF Secretariat has any say in player call-ups.”
His remarks come amid public scrutiny over transparency in CHAN squad selection, given the tournament features only locally-based players. Hussein assured Kenyans that the current regime is committed to professionalism, distancing itself from historical controversies.
Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Salim Mvurya, urged players to carry the hopes of 50 million Kenyans and stressed CHAN's significance ahead of AFCON 2027.
“This is more than a tournament - it’s a national mission,” said Mvurya. “Let every stadium resound with our voices.”
Principal Secretary Elijah Mwangi confirmed that FKF’s logistical needs had been met, adding that upgraded venues like Nyayo and Police Sacco Stadiums were ready.
Meanwhile, Harambee Stars have risen two places to position 109 in the latest FIFA World Rankings following their June international fixtures, which included a goalless draw and a 2-1 win over Chad.
Under head coach Benni McCarthy, the team appears to be regaining form, with the FIFA rankings reflecting a slow but steady recovery after a turbulent period. With CHAN matches set for home soil, hopes are high for a breakthrough performance.